Monday, March 5, 2012

One Size DOESN'T Fit ALL or Even Most!!!

So the old saying on the tag....one size fits all.  They changed that a few years ago to read...one size fits MOST.  They did that because of the growing (no pun intended) obesity epidemic in America.  Sometimes I think it's that "one size" mentality that got me into the situation I'm in currently.  I thought that "one size fits all" meant that I deserved the same life as someone else, anyone else, everyone else.  It meant that I could eat what they did, exercise the same amount (or not) as they did, spend as much as they did, etc.  See what a damaging mindset that has been for me to have?  I have also felt that it meant that as long as I looked like someone else, had their approval, resembled them that I could "fit in".  I have cared more for people's approval than the love and genuine acceptance of my Heavenly Father, God.  I have tried to fit myself into too many other people's "molds", much less their lives, their jeans...hehehehe and their situations.  It has played havoc on my ego, my esteem and has completely destroyed my clear view of my Savior.  I've let numbers get in the way.  Numbers related to weight.  Numbers related to G.P.A's.  Numbers related to bank accounts.  Numbers related to how many children, square footage on a home, the year a car was made, how many times I've been on a cruise.  You name it and I've tried to fit my life into someone else's number. 


Well I'm being reminded daily because of this journey that one size jeans with a certain number WON'T fit you like another pair from a different company with the same number. Heck, it won't fit on a different cut of pants from the same company.  If it's that simple, practical, tangible in a clothing size why can't I get it through my head that my life isn't meant to be like anyone else's?  Why am I still trying to be the same number as some one else? 

I'm so grateful that I'm learning that I don't have to be like anyone else.  I don't have to look like anyone else.  I don't have to fit into their lives, their dreams, their goals.  Now in regards to numbers.  I must admit that I still feel bound by them a bit.  How many calories can I eat a day?  (That's a number)  How much weight did I lose this week (a number)?  How many servings of fruits and veggies did I eat today (a number)?  How many inches have a lost (a number)?  The weights that I lift with...numbers.  The reps that I do at workout...numbers.  See how they are everywhere????  Oh not to mention 5K, 8K..how fast I run my times...ehehehehehehe. Sheesh..numbers are surrounding me.

Hopefully there will be a day when the numbers don't matter so much.  I'm praying that I can be set free from having to be so regimented and being concerned about what the numbers say.  Thanks as always for letting me share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment