Monday, February 6, 2012

How Do You Measure Success???

So I haven't taken my measurements since September 2011.  I should have taken them when I started my journey in Oct. 2010.  Honestly though I didn't have a tape measure that even fit around me.  I was too embarassed to ask Nathan or anyone for help.  Today though I asked Nathan to help me with my new pink $.98 tape measure from the grocery store.  Guess what????  I've lost 41.75 inches since Sept. 2011.  Isn't that AMAZING???  I've lost 14 inches from my waist alone.  I can't even begin to tell you how encouraged I was after adding up all of those numbers and realizing that YES I'm smaller.  I mean I knew my clothes sizes had changed but wowzers. 

I know that the numbers really aren't where it's at.  I am aware that I should be pleased with ANY progress and not hung up on weight/measurements.  However, I am an insecure person.  I must admit that I was pleased to see the difference.  I know that success can be measured by my attitude, feelings, mindset, vocabulary, etc.  So maybe I should focus on a few of those too???

Here are some other ways I've been successful.  When I shop I look at labels rather than price tags.  Don't get me wrong, I HATE that eating healthier is more expensive, BUT I keep buying free-range, organic, NO high fructose corn syrup.  You get my drift.  Feeding seven of us on a budget is hard, but I'm learning and growing everytime I go to the store.  It's becoming a little less daunting each time. Another measurement of success is the fact that I don't mind trying on clothes.  In fact, I actually enjoy shopping now.  How about that I use different words when I talk about food, exercise.  My body AND my mind are changing.  I actually crave movement.  I want to eat vegetables and I NEED more sleep.  My expectations are changing and my view of reality is MUCH more truthful.  I am forever grateful for these changes.

So I'm thinner, healthier and happier.  There is more strength, grace, and beauty in my days and I feel hope for the first time in over a decade.  Life is GOOD and that's the best measurement of all.
 

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of clothes... I have several pairs of jeans waiting to come hang in your closet! :-D

    ReplyDelete